Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Coffee Altered Flower Tutorial

Hi There,
I hope you are all enjoying your warm summer days!

I have a simple tutorial on how to alter the Petaloo Flowers that came in
ScrapThat!'s July Kit
"Summer In My Garden"

It's super easy and quick!!

But first I wanted to share a few tips I came up with using the Kit:
* When removing your resin window pieces...do so with caution...I learned this the hard way a long time ago
* I wanted to use my window on 2 different projects more like shutters, so I used a dremel to cut it in half!
* I took the tan buttons off the white fowers and replaced them with the white rose buds in the kit
* I used Helen's tip from last month and snipped the Zva flowers in half to make them go further


**left over coffee in some sort of shallow dish
** blow dryer

I wanted to show you a quick before of the flower I am going to alter. It's yellowish in the center and a bit flat, but I am going to change this so it matches my layout I want to use it on.

Simply dip your flower into the old coffe, wetting it completely. Be sure to GENTLY sqeeze out the excess liquid. These flowers become more delicate when they are wet, so handle with care so you do not tear them during this process. You may choose to let it set on a napkin for a few minutes once you've sqeezed it out to let the napkin absorb some more of the dampness. Thesen suckers can take a while to dry since they are made of mulberry and tend to hold alot of liquid.

Once your flower has set to dry for a few minutes you are ready to speed up the process while giving the flower it's new shape. Remember in the "before photo" above how the flower was a bit flat? Well now we want to give it more dimension, by simply scrunching and rolling it around between your fingers while drying it with a blow dryer. There dryer will get hot if you keep it in one place you you will need to move it around as you go and it will take a little bit to get it completely dried, but trust me the results are so worth the effort!

Once your flower is completely dry and you are happy with it's new shape, it's ready to use!!!
The tan flower below is a close up of my after once I altered it with the coffee!! You may notice that mine has a bit of white on it too, thats because I used a few dabs of white acrylic paint here and there ll over my layout!!!

My finish results!!!

I hope you loved my tutorial and found it useful!
Thanks for stopping by!


  1. Thanks so much for this fab tutorial. I have some of these flowers in my stash and love, love the coffee color and new shape!! ~ Blessings, Tracey


  2. Loved this layout the first time I saw it. Thanks as always for sharing.

  3. Jenifer... this LO is gorgeous! I love the way you altered the flower to make it work! Thanks for sharing your tips with us!

    barb :)

  4. WOW!!! This is stunning. I love how you altered the flowers. Beautiful work.